Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving

Full disclosure, I am sitting in my Christmas jammies, watching Hallmark Christmas movies in bed, while I type.  It is 8pm on Thanksgiving day.  And our Thanksgiving was low key but lovely.  It started with an 18lb bird & the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade & ended with bellies full of an abundance of food.  And of course, I took pictures of the day.  I even had Nolan take a couple pictures of me making *"rotten" eggs.  Generally speaking, I am not a fan of having my picture taken.  But I don't want my kids to look back at photo books after I am gone & never be able to see me in them.  


Like I said our day started w/ putting the turkey in the oven & the parade.  


Like our barricade?  

The barricade has to be erected every time there is major cooking taking place in the kitchen because our Great Dane, Loki, laying on his pillow in the picture below, can reach the countertops w/ ease.  And last year while we were all eating dinner, he helped himself to the other side, the uncarved portion, of our turkey sitting on the counter.  Which of course shorted us on a great many turkey leftovers, the stinker! It's a good thing he is incredibly cute & has those Great Dane eyes that just beg you to love him no matter what.

Our Christmas decorations sitting out show you that we are ready to start decorating the house tomorrow!


There's a whole lot of cooking going on.




** We call our Deviled Eggs rotten because of Liam.  When he was 4 or 5 he couldn't remember their actual name & so he word associated Deviled with Rotten & they have been Rotten Eggs in our family ever since.  


And to make sure that Artie, our Weizsla puppy, didn't feel left out of the Thanksgiving fun.  Captain Awesome tossed her some mini marshmallows.  




Tomorrow we begin the process of putting away Thanksgiving decor & putting up all the Christmas decor.  I am so excited!!!  And for the next month anytime I am not prepping for Christmas, helping kids with schoolwork, cleaning, chasing down a puppy, running the household, you will find me in front of my computer or TV watching my favorite Christmas movies.  What are your favorite Christmas movies?  Are you into holiday classics like It's A Wonderful Life (in B & W), that's my favorite.  Or are do you prefer funny ones like Elf or A Christmas Story, I LOVE those too!  Or are you a Hallmark Christmas movie watching fool?  Because I AM!!  😊 Basically, I LOVE Christmas movies!  And with that, I sign off...


From our family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!


Love, 

Jes


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Negative Impact of Censorship on American Public Libraries

     Censorship has been around for as long as humans have been around, it ebbs and flows in an unrelenting stream throughout time and when used judiciously by trained professionals does serve a useful purpose, offering protection from harmful things to those who either cannot or do not know how to protect themselves. This country is currently experiencing an inordinate amount of censorship in American public libraries. This current flow of censorship has been filled with vitriol, and harassment, in the form of book challenges/book banning, proposals of harsh laws that call for punishing librarians and libraries, and outlawing story hours for preschoolers led by drag queens. The books most likely to be banned are those that are written by or for people of color or people in the LGBTQIA+ community, in other words, the most marginalized members of society among us. The amount of higher education required to obtain a degree in library sciences is considerable. To become a librarian, one m

Goodbye Nikki

  It took me a week before I was able to do this post...  Last Thursday at 3pm we had to put our 15+-year-old cocker spaniel, Nikki, to sleep.  Needless to say, it was an incredibly emotional day.   It wasn't a shock to us as she was 15 years old, had severe cataracts, & was deaf.  This summer she started getting really picky about food.  Then she started going to the bathroom in the house fairly regularly so we had to sequester her inside the laundry room, where there is no carpeting.  This fall getting her to eat was becoming more and more difficult, I just knew we were going to lose her.  I kept hoping she would turn around because it's already been a really bad year for loss in this house & honestly I just didn't want to face losing another furry family member. But last week we noticed her left eye was beginning to ooze mucous & we could clean it off but it would crust back over within half an hour. And then she officially stopped eating completely. I called

What 2021 Taught Me

Usually, at the end of a year, I like to close out the year w positive thoughts on our experiences through the year. This year I learned that grief can bury one alive without a single grain of actual dirt.  I learned that grief can leave one feeling as though one can't take even the smallest of breaths in even the cleanest of air.  I learned that humanity can really disappoint & disgust.  I learned that when the chips are down there are so many people who choose selfishness over their fellow man, woman, or child.  I learned that a lot of Christians don't actually understand what Christ stood for.  I learned that bodily autonomy & the rights of females (assigned female at birth) who are already born & living are not as important to them as the collection of cells that a female, assigned at birth, carries within.  I learned that even if you aren't the majority you can destroy democracy just by spreading fear simply by telling as many lies as you can.  I learned th