Skip to main content

Its not us it's you 2020

 


Who enjoyed saying goodbye to 2020 as much as I did?!?!  Who actually thinks anything is any different in 2021, so far? Yeah me either.  It is a nice thought though.  So from here on in this post will be happy! Do you hear me?!?!?  HAPPY!!!  (Big breath in ... & ... out) Now don't you feel better?  Pssst...work with me here, okay? 

We rang out the old & in with the new very laid back this year.  Just CA, the kids & I.  And the dogs & cats of course.  Liam & I watched Doctor Who all night long so that we could be ready for the New Year's Day special episode.  Good times.  The kids played video games as did CA & of course we had our standard fare of 7 layer dip, chips, cheese & crackers & soda.  We could hear fireworks going off in the neighborhood by 11 & they continued until just after midnight.  As soon as we were done toasting in the new year we all went to bed.  We really know how to live it up, don't we? 


Yesterday, we spent the day in our PJs again. I'd say don't knock it till ya try it but I have a feeling that in the last year a lot more people than ever before have embraced PJs & sweats/yoga pants, so, you get it already.  And we started the process of taking down all the Christmas decor.  It's always nice to get rid of clutter but for some reason every year I get a little sad taking down all the festive decor as it always makes me feel as though the house is very bare, boring, & blah without the flare & color everywhere.  We can't put away the outside decor yet because well...



Yeah, we got that snow we were waiting for.  Along with sleet, & freezing rain.  So, our outside decor will have to wait until it thaws out a little first.  At least we aren't alone.  Everyone that put up lights is in the same boat.  Except for those diehards who really want to chip away frozen strings of lights from their houses, trees, & bushes. Whatever floats their boats, right?  Better them than me.  I'll stay inside in my fuzzy slippers with hot cocoa & wait for the sun to return.  Hopefully before the end of January, but if not, oh well.  



Before we took everything inside down & put it back in boxes for next year I had to get one last pic of our Merry Mail sign & show off the cards we received this year.  I was surprised there weren't as many as we usually get.  I figured no one can really go out we'd probably get more snail mail this year but I was wrong.  No worries, we usually get about 25-30 cards & I typically send out 75 cards myself, so I'm used to not getting a whole lot in return.  It's just not something people like to do anymore & that is okay.  It's also something I won't stop doing and that's okay too.  

Because the Doctor Who special episode didn't air until 7 our time, I DVR'd it so Liam & I could watch it this afternoon.  

He & I are loving Jodi Whittaker's take on the Doctor.  And it is still one of our favorite mom & Liam things to do together.  


Monday it's back to school (at home virtually of course) for the kids & I.  Yay... 😏


And that is it for this post.  I am glad 2020 is over and yet I don't expect a whole lot of difference between the year to come & the one we've already endured.  I pray for change, in hearts, behavior, kindness, love, & acceptance. May we all enjoy a 2021 filled with all those things & many more wonderful joyful moments & memories.  


Jes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Negative Impact of Censorship on American Public Libraries

     Censorship has been around for as long as humans have been around, it ebbs and flows in an unrelenting stream throughout time and when used judiciously by trained professionals does serve a useful purpose, offering protection from harmful things to those who either cannot or do not know how to protect themselves. This country is currently experiencing an inordinate amount of censorship in American public libraries. This current flow of censorship has been filled with vitriol, and harassment, in the form of book challenges/book banning, proposals of harsh laws that call for punishing librarians and libraries, and outlawing story hours for preschoolers led by drag queens. The books most likely to be banned are those that are written by or for people of color or people in the LGBTQIA+ community, in other words, the most marginalized members of society among us. The amount of higher education required to obtain a degree in library sciences is considerable. To become a librarian, one m

Goodbye Nikki

  It took me a week before I was able to do this post...  Last Thursday at 3pm we had to put our 15+-year-old cocker spaniel, Nikki, to sleep.  Needless to say, it was an incredibly emotional day.   It wasn't a shock to us as she was 15 years old, had severe cataracts, & was deaf.  This summer she started getting really picky about food.  Then she started going to the bathroom in the house fairly regularly so we had to sequester her inside the laundry room, where there is no carpeting.  This fall getting her to eat was becoming more and more difficult, I just knew we were going to lose her.  I kept hoping she would turn around because it's already been a really bad year for loss in this house & honestly I just didn't want to face losing another furry family member. But last week we noticed her left eye was beginning to ooze mucous & we could clean it off but it would crust back over within half an hour. And then she officially stopped eating completely. I called

What 2021 Taught Me

Usually, at the end of a year, I like to close out the year w positive thoughts on our experiences through the year. This year I learned that grief can bury one alive without a single grain of actual dirt.  I learned that grief can leave one feeling as though one can't take even the smallest of breaths in even the cleanest of air.  I learned that humanity can really disappoint & disgust.  I learned that when the chips are down there are so many people who choose selfishness over their fellow man, woman, or child.  I learned that a lot of Christians don't actually understand what Christ stood for.  I learned that bodily autonomy & the rights of females (assigned female at birth) who are already born & living are not as important to them as the collection of cells that a female, assigned at birth, carries within.  I learned that even if you aren't the majority you can destroy democracy just by spreading fear simply by telling as many lies as you can.  I learned th